REQUEST A GRANT
Be A Gift Foundation
Why We Were Founded
The Be a Gift Foundation was inspired by the words of Pope John Paul II’s “Theology of the Body” where he states, “To say that man is created in the image and likeness of God means that man is called to exist ‘for’ others, to become a gift.” The Be a Gift Foundation was created to be a vehicle through which people could become a gift to those in need.
The mission of the Be a Gift Foundation is to offer financial assistance to those in need where such assistance typically is not available to them from other sources. We fulfill this purpose by responding to the requests of social service and non-profit agencies that make us aware of specific needs of the individuals that they serve.
“If you can’t feed one hundred people, then feed just one”– Mother Teresa
Examples of Grant Requests
Although our average grant for a specific need generally does not exceed $500, we consider larger requests on a case-by-case basis.
We consider almost any type of grant request that falls within our mission. Here are a few examples:
• Providing a young adult transitioning out of foster care with start-up funds for shelter, food, and/or clothing
• Assisting unwed mothers with pregnancy and newborn baby needs and medical expenses.
• Helping a family survive a sudden loss of income due to job loss or illness by assisting with rent, utilities or other household expenses
• Funding for needed medical care or equipment
• Helping a child or teen go to camp or other special program to help keep him/her off of the streets
• Funding for drug rehab or counseling.
• Providing foster or indigent children with necessary or discretionary items or services for which no government funds are available, such as special classes to learn a trade or skill, music or art lessons, equipment needed to develop special skills, tutoring, and other similar items or services.
How We Work
The Be a Gift grant committee meets weekly to review and respond to the grant requests it receives from social service and other non-profit agencies. Meeting weekly allows us to respond quickly to the requests of the agencies that we work with. Please submit your Grant Request online. Click Here
Who Can Submit a Grant Request?
In general, any not-for-profit organization that provides charitable, social services to individuals, including private and state social welfare agencies, churches, hospitals and schools, can submit a grant request. We look forward to developing solid working relationships with key members of these organizations including social workers, school counselors, clergy, administrators and other staff members and volunteers who regularly provide needed services to the individuals and families that reside in their communities.
Officers & Directors
Timothy R. Donovan, JD — President and Member of the Board
Timothy is currently Executive Vice President and General Counsel of Caesar’s Entertainment. Before starting with Caesars in 2009, Tim was Executive VP/General Counsel of Allied Waste (2007 thru 2009), Executive VP Strategy and Development and General Counsel for Tenneco, Inc. (1999 thru 2007), and was a partner and associate in the law firm of Jenner and Block in Chicago for over 18 years. He is also currently a member of the board of directors of John B. Sanfilippo & Son, Inc.Tim received his Bachelor’s degree from the Ohio State University and his JD from Capital University.
Elaine Donovan, JD— Secretary/Treasurer and Member of the Board
Elaine received her Bachelor’s degree in Accountancy from the University of Illinois and her JD from Northwestern University. She practiced tax and transactional law for over 13 years before retiring to raise her children and to found and operate the Be A Gift Foundation.
Ellyn Samsky, CPA — Member of the Board